Sunday, November 2, 2008

Social Media On The Rise


Thanks to Google reader, one of my favorite social media tools; I was just informed of a new post by social media connoisseur, Marta Kagan, on her blog (The Secret Diary of a Bonafide Marketing Genius). In one of her latest blog entries, she discusses some interesting stats:

  • 3/4 of US online adults now use social tools to connect with each other (compared with just 56% in 2007). On average, they spend one hour per week using these tools; however, 19% [and growing] are averaging 7 HOURS PER WEEK. [source: Forrester Research, October 2008]
  • 75% of Fortune 1000 companies with Web sites will have undertaken some kind of online social-networking initiative for marketing or customer relations purposes in the next year. [source: Gartner, October 2008]
- Marta Kagan

Social media usage is going up and it doesn't look like it will be stopping anytime soon. It is pretty clear that social media is the future. 7 hours per week may not seem like much to you and I but the increase of usage from 56% in 2007 to where it is now (just in the span of a year) is pretty darn impressive. People of all demographics are beginning to understand social media tools and how helpful they can be.

What are your thoughts on this increase in numbers?

2 comments:

Shannon N. said...

I'm all around surprised by the figures. I'm surprised only 75% use social tools, but am shocked that almost 1/5 are using social media tools seven hours a week! Aside from blogging for class, I hardly use social media tools. I guess I'd have to record my usage for more accurate results.

How many hours a week do you think you spend using social media?

Christine Pegg said...

Shannon, I'm a social media addict. I am constantly on Facebook. I'm really loving Twitter. And I check my Google Reader every chance I get. The fact that I can access all of these via my cell phone, I am connected to my social media tools 24/7. I get notifications to my phone as soon as I get a new email, comment, etc.
I love it!